AASL Friday

The 7:30 AM session with Dan Pink discussing his book, A Whole New Mind, eluded me. I don’t know why but it did. My first session was by Annette Lamb who teaches online courses from her motor home for Indiana University to prepare Librarians. I got a lot of ideas from her presentation. A lot of her ideas and her presentation are posted at eduscapes.com (click on “activate”).1.                  Use a blog as a science experiment log

2.                  Animation

3.                  Use digital cameras to make a photo graphic novel

4.                  Use some online drawing software to create comic graphic novels

5.                  Tux Paint is an open source software like KidPix

6.                  Use LibraryThing for classroom collections

7.                  Use LibraryThing for students to start a lifetime log of all the books they have or will read and of reviews they write over their lifetime

8.                  Joyce Valenza’s web site

9.                  Alice 2.0 if a free open source software to do simple animation

10.              For the digital camera our job is to teach the effective use of the tool (see picture books about RUSSEL…)

11.              Paint.net free software for digital photo editing.

12.              Garage Band 3 audio stuff for Apple users

13.             Grandview school podcasts of book reviews

14.              My Pop Studio

15.              Carnegie Mellon book shelf

16.              Students do Pathfinders

17.              Motivate students to make learning and technology connections

At 10:00 Keith Lance gave his report of the first Annual AASL School Library survey. The results were interesting. They will be posted in the next week or two. I volunteered us to pilot the next survey questions to be sure they make better sense from a practitioner’s perspective.

From 11:30 until 1:30 I forgo lunch to make the Exhibit Hall rounds. I concentrated on two things: 1) furniture to make Library spaces more appealing, 2) Library automation systems.

Library Spaces

I want to push the envelope in two areas of Library spaces supported by furniture. I want collaborative spaces to be functional for small groups of students to open their laptops and truly collaborate on projects. What I have mostly seen are the 1950’s malt shop tables and bench seats. I think they will help. Placing them next to walls or windows will help solve the access to electricity problems. Second, I want warm and fuzzy reading motivation areas, and furniture that scream for students to curl up with a good book. There are lots of tings proposed for this furniture. I think I liked big cozy books best found at www.bigcozybooks.com. Other vendors that might have similar furniture include, Demco, Highsmith, and Brodart. TESCO, our regular Library furniture provider said they could get anything we wanted. Bretford really had no idea what I wanted.

Library Automation Systems

None had any social networking built in. Some new what I was talking about when I asked if students could add their own tags to books. Some did not. Aquabrowser from TLC said that they were partnering with LibraryThing to provide the social networking component. I thought that was a create way to catch up. Atrium looked good and acted like they could add those social networking components, but beware of air ware.

Then came the afternoon sessions. At 1:30 I was supposed to go see Joyce Valenza. I told her yesterday that I was planning on seeing her and she said oh, do come so I will have someone there. I said, I would probably not be able to get in because it would be so full. Guess what, it was closed because it was full. I admit I did not get there early but I was not the only one turned away. I talked to Julie Walker, AASL Executive Director, and she said that Joyce was scheduled again for Saturday afternoon—a good solution. Anyway, I went to see another of my choices, Christopher Harris, “School Library 2.0: Living the Digital Re-Shift”. It was very good. This is what I learned:

1.                  ZOHO.com free like Google Docs and lightweight programming

2.                  Not software, not hardware, but a rich user experience

3.                  Google Effect (Wikipedia) don’t fight it but be the best Google Ninja possible for credibility

4.                  The Favor Theory – say that is my professionally trained job

5.                  Federal Issues – SKILLS …

6.                  Teach students how to be teachers (of themselves and others) or life long learners

7.                  Design web sites to work on mobile devises

8.                  fish4info.org – not an OPAC (Chris does not like OPACs because of their non-user friendliness) but a connection for students to books

9.                  Schedule 3 things

a.                                Place

b.                                Resources

c.                                Person (24/7 with Pathfinders)

10.              Lightweight programming—use lightweight programming to create intranet delicious to create pathfinders

11.              His site – digitalreshift.org

12.              Drupal open source content management site.

13.              Xampp (Chris would call this for lightweight programming—it looks mid to heavy to me)

Okay, I am tired again.