AASL Summary and Reflection

Below are links to some of the bloggers I read and their richer descriptions of their experiences at AASL:

AASL Learning, Day1

AASL Day 2 – Dan Pink

AASL Day 3 – A Whole New Mind

AASL Day 4 – Presentations and thoughts

AASL and a Web 2.0 rating

School Library 2.0: Living the Digital Reshift

Digital ReShift Defined

Live from Reno (but not so much–yet)

One point made by two bloggers was that although there were some good programs about the 2.0 world, the conference really did not use 2.0 tools. One session I had with David Loertscher used a wiki for his presentation and interaction from the audience. All the other presentations that I say or heard about used PowerPoint. I did leave one session because the presenter was going to use flipchart paper to capture ideas about how to use 2.0 tools.

I believe the message I will be taking back is that the Library 2.0 tools are just tools for “learning in the Library to be the best learning in the school” (by David Loertscher). And that the issue is not software nor hardware but for us to insure the learning has the richest learning experience possible using any tools available (by Chris Harris).

The newest tool talked about was teaching students how to use iGoogle as their home page and then showing them how to use the widgets to customize it to mesh their social networking skills into social academic learning skills.

The tension between Library resources and Google resources was underlying some discussion about us becoming Google Ninjas—not fighting Google but understanding all the possible tools Google offers and teaching them to students to gain credibility.

I believe this comes back to my pre-conference thought—we are information specialists and we are to use whatever tools are available. So, we need to be ready to show students how to use iGoogle when that is the best tool for the students. We need to be ready to use online subscription databases when that is the best tool for the student. We need to be able to use the OPAC to find the right book when that is the right tool for the student.

What implications does this have for us Librarians? The number of tools we need to master just exploded exponentially. We need to realize we cannot learn them all. We also need to realize that we need to use social networking tools to connect with other learners and share tools even if those learners are students.

I humbly submit that nothing has changed. When I started Librarianship in the 70’s I could not know it all then nor can I now. We need to exemplify life long learning and share with our students how to find the necessary tools to find the necessary information to meet their curiosities for the rest of their/our lives.