SLJ Summit – Vendors

Before lunch and the keynote, I had an opportunity to visit 4 vendors of the 20 or so that sponsored the summit.

First, I saw Scholastic BookFlix (http://bookflix.scholastic.com/freetrial). This product is similar to TumbleBooks. They both have turned children’s picture books into e-books viewed on the computer and/or projected onto a screen. BookFlix has many non-fiction books and has many of them paired with Westwood videos.

Second, I talked to the Playaway representative. I am always looking for new ways to promote the audio books on self-contained MP3 players. I think they offer a chance for secondary students to continue to “read” while their lives become much more complicated. The representative suggested that Librarians wear a Playaway around their neck. Students will ask what it is and that gives the Librarian an opportunity to explain the option to reading the Librarian can provide. Also, the Playaways packed as is look like video tapes, but if you take the MP3 out of its box and hang them on hooks behind the circulation desk students will ask.

Next, I talked to the Overdrive people. They offer a great variety of downloadable e-books and audio books. What I really like about there product is that it makes one of the essential functions of a Library (access to books) a 24 hour opportunity. Students can login to the Library website and download an e-book or an audio book in the middle of the night while the Librarian gets some much needed rest.

Lastly, I visited with the Capstone representative. She introduced me to the Capstone Interactive Library. This was the first time I had seen graphic comics in an e-book format with automatic reading available. I think this will be a winner.

At

School Library Journal Leadership Summit, 2008

Remixing Library Collections for Digital Youth

November 14-15, 2008

The Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa

Hollywood, Florida

Trackback and Pingback